Saturday 16 February 2013

Makeup Confession #personalpost


Hey there! Now I’ll apologise in advance if this kind of post doesn’t appeal to you, it’s not my typical sort of post but it is definitely something I wanted to share with you all. This is beginning to sound like it’s something super serious diary entry but it really isn’t that big of a deal. 
Basically I started collecting makeup about two years ago, I had been interested in makeup for A LOT longer than that, but because of my young age I didn’t have the finances to, let’s say, ‘support my obsession’ until two years ago. At the time I will admit, I was really naive and had the mindset ‘the bigger my collection, the better my collection’ so over time I’ve accumulated a ‘larger than your average’ makeup collection. In saying that I am merely comparing it to the amount of makeup my personal friends outside the blogging/YouTube world have, in comparison to many YouTubers my makeup collection would well… not even compare. I guess what the funny thing is that it was watching all these big Youtubers with HUGE makeup collections two years ago that made me want to collect as much as them, but now something inside me has changed and I am almost cringing when I watch some of the makeup collection videos that in the past I would have loved. I don’t want to spend my money (and on a bigger scale; my life) collecting 50+ blushes that will sit in a drawer collecting dust for years. I want to spend my money travelling, helping others and spoiling the people I love. Don’t get me wrong, I am sure there are many people in this world who can do all of the above and own 50 blushes, but I personally can’t see myself having the best of both worlds (at this point in time anyway). By no means do I think makeup is a waste of money, nor will I stop purchasing it, but I am definitely going to start shopping more wisely and have the mindset of QUALITY OVER QUANTITY
I think this has kind of been in the back of my mind for a while but what has really persuaded me to make this post was Jenn Im from ClothesEncounters. She didn’t directly make any statement like what I have just made, but from observing her and her showing her own makeup in a few of her videos, she just seems to have a good amount. Not a million different eye shadows and blushes, just the select few which she enjoys and then the most variable product in her makeup was a few different shades lipsticks. I think I am starting to get overwhelmed a little bit in the midst of my own collection – ‘so much makeup so little time’. I even find myself for some unknown reason holding on to cosmetics which I genuinely don’t use or even like, probably because in the past I thought it made my collection look good, but in reality it’s just collecting dust. So I am going to do a clean out of my makeup and ship the products I don’t particularly enjoy to my loved ones, because they will probably enjoy them more than I do!

8392_ec82_large
Source: weheartit.com
Sorry now I am just waffling on and on! Basically to do this in a quick summary:
1.       I am going to reduce my makeup purchasing, minimalize my impulse purchasing and do a bit more research in to products prior to purchasing  to limit the chance of me being disappointed in them or wasting money
2.       I will clean out my makeup, passing on unwanted items to a new home
3.       Focusing on using the products that I have!
4.       Opt for QUALITY over QUANTITY

I assure you my makeup collection isn’t actually that big, but for me I am just starting to find it a little overwhelming I suppose. Also, I don’t want to come across as hypocritical when I post future hauls and all, because I by no means am saying am never buying anymore beauty products, the purchases made will be more thought through and will get used regularly!
I hope this didn’t leave the wrong impression but it probably does seem a bit weird coming from a beauty blogger, buuuut I guess I am a bit of weird beauty blogger (& that’s how I like it)! Please leave your thoughts below, as I would love to read and reply to them all :D

I hope you all are having a lovely weekend!

Ashleigh xo

No comments:

Post a Comment